Okay, I only recently heard this called a 'MeMe,' but I've done them by email before, and it seems like a fitting name. And I like the blog format way better than spamming email. Thanks KetchupQueen!
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate all the way. I make it all kinds of different ways and with different stuff in it, but anything chocolate has to be good. I don't really even like egg nog at all; although, I did recently have a slice of egg nog cream pie that was excellent.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Well, what fun would it be if they weren't wrapped?
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? On the tree, I really like colored. On the house, either is fine. I like the icicle kind. For trees and such outside, it's back to colored. We did mix in a few white twinkle lights with the colored lights on our tree this year. They're 16-function twinkle lights, and the kids love pushing the button to make them do all different things.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.
5. When do you put your decorations up? The tree goes up for FHE the Monday after Thanksgiving. The rest of the decorations go up sometime in that same week. Except for house lights--sometimes we don't ever get around to those. Ladder work is hard.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I like Polish sausage for Christmas breakfast, as is family tradition.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Planning the annual Christmas raid. We had some of the most elaborate schemes for sneaking out to the Christmas tree to see the presents without getting caught.
8. How and when did you learn the truth about Santa? I think I was about 7, and I swear my mom just told me. Maybe I'd been asking questions or something, but all I remember was her getting out the photo album and asking me who was in the picture. "Santa, of course." And she told me to look closer. It was obviously Santa, silly. Finally, she just said, "No, look, it's Grandpa." And it was. Huh.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Depends. At my parents' house, we open 'family' gifts Christmas Eve and leave Santa's stuff till morning. At my in-laws', everything is Christmas morning.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lights and a mish mash of ornaments.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Love snow. I haven't really lived in it for too long, so I might get tired of it (gray slush in the gutter is the pits), but even when I was at BYU, I still got excited about it. And now, I have to make a special effort to see any.
12. Can you ice skate? Uh...kinda. I've only been about 3 times, and the last time, I could stay upright and glide a bit...until I slammed into the wall or tried to avoid running down a little kid and ended up sitting on the ice.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Individually? Nothing specific. The year my husband got me a remote controll was awesome. (We'd bought a demo tv that was missing the remote, and the universal remotes were spotty in working it. He ordered a replacement from the manufacturer.) As a family gift, the trampoline year was legend. (As combined with the annual raid...where I sneaked through the backyard right past it without seeing it...)
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? The music, the caring about other people, the giving, the connected-ness...
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I'm not sure I really have one. Banana cream pie? Does that count? Maybe slush...
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Hmm. My husband's family sings Messiah (almost) every year. We like to make candy. Caroling. My family's annual Monopoly Championship of the World. Funny how 'favorite' becomes a list...
17. What tops your tree? I have a felt, blanket-stitched star at the top right now.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Definitely giving. I don't really need anything, so getting stuff is just okay. But that's one of my favorite things about Christmas--shopping for just the right thing to make someone's eyes light up. Priceless.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? What? I have to pick one? Uh... I love Handel's Messiah, although that's not strictly Christmas (especially my favorites). O Come, O Come Emmanuel is high up there. Angels We Have Heard on High and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing. Picture a Christmas. I don't know. I'm not sure I've heard a Christmas song I didn't like (interpretation possibly, but not song).
Oh...I don't usually tag anyone to pass these on, but this is a fun one to do, so...Lisa--you're it. ;)