Saturday, November 01, 2008

The Halloween Fairy and Russian Tea

It's a double header post. Yay!

The basic concept of the Halloween Fairy is that she comes and takes away all the candy and leaves a toy or money in its place. The kids get something in exchange, and Mom doesn't have to deal with limiting candy, finding candy stuck in carpets, wiping chocolate-y finger prints off everything, or settling disputes over stolen candy. But...

Okay. I couldn't do it. I couldn't make all the Halloween candy disappear overnight. I just couldn't abort the fun of sorting and hoarding the candy for a few days... But I also couldn't dispute the existence of the Halloween Fairy after the kids got so excited. So Miss Fairy took some of the candy (mostly the plethora of things I know the kids don't really like) and left $1. She might be back later for the rest. We'll see.

Per Jenni's request, here's the Russian tea recipe I got from Rich's grandparents, straight from the family cookbook:
Cornaby Russian Tea

11 c. water
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
6 whole cloves
1 c. pineapple juice
3 T. lemon juice
6 oz. (1/2 can) orange juice concentrate

Bring to a boil the water, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the pineapple juice, lemon juice, and orange juice concentrate. Serve hot or cold. Yield: Enough to cure many.
This is the favorite Cornaby cure for colds and sore throats. A kettle simmering on the back unit of the stove has chased away many a virus.
I like it best hot. They serve it every year during the family Messiah sing. It soothes sore throats from illness...and over-taxed vocal chords.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Gee whiz. Thanks! I look forward to snarfing down the whole batch myself.

Family Messiah sing? What a blast!

Jennifer said...

You're so nice! I just dump my kids' candy out, weed through it right in front of them, and then eat half of what they have anyway. And in a week or so I'll get sick of having it around and throw the rest of it away.

Anne/kq said...

Yeah, I like candy too much to let the Fairy take it. ;)

Jenn said...

I've heard of a lot of people having the Fairy (or the Great Pupmkin) come. I've never been able to do it. Halloween was such a big thing when I was a kid, absconding with the candy has never felt quite right to me. (Yeah, I'm a wimp.) LOL!!!

Unknown said...

I'm a wimp too. I think the idea is fabulous. But my kids are getting used to the one piece after lunch and one after dinner if they eat. Right now its helping moderate healthy eating. Lilly's good at it, Coralie just wants the sugar. Blah