Thursday, June 28, 2007

School Woes

So, Sarah's on a waiting list for the local charter school kindergarten. It's not looking likely at this point. Our district says no dice on early enrollment. The other nearby school in a different district has already passed the open enrollment deadline (even if they'd consider early enrollment, which they might not). I've heard that the Accelerated Pre-K class at the Early Childhood Center is still just glorified daycare. So my options...try for a charter school in town and drive a whole lot (if I could even get her in at this late stage) or see if I can still get her into the other district's preschool. Or home school...or co-op group...but she really needs something outside home and structured. What to do...what to do... Hmph. I hate being the grown up.

By the way, I was curious about Sarah's reading, since she's doing so well (she read an entire chapter book yesterday...8 or 9 chapters worth). So I looked up some online assessments. I tried her out on this one and this one. It appears she's decoding at level 5.5 (fifth month of fifth grade). I tried her out on the 4th grade reading and comprehension, and she answered 7/12 multiple choice correctly. (There were short and long answer questions too, but I didn't have her do those.) I'm going to try the 2nd grade test, which has only multiple choice, next.

On the other hand, I have a co-op group for Noah lined up for the fall.

*Update: She aced the 2nd grade level. 12/12.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Rich genes + Shannon genes = smart kids. Of course!

Anne/kq said...

Hmmm. Around here there are private associations geared toward gifted children that help with advocacy, scholarships, whatever is needed. I wonder if there is something like that in your area?

Alternatively, instead of doing co-op, what about a swap? You teach or watch someone else's kid and they teach yours (know any former e. school teachers who just had a baby?)

Anne/kq said...

Hey, there, you have been chosen as a Rockin' Girl Blogger!