Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Reading Snapshot

I read a ton. I'm usually trying to get my kids to watch a movie or go do something so I can read. Here's a somewhat-recent, non-comprehensive, what-I-can-remember-offhand list of what I've been reading, most recent first.
  • Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie - It's Peter Pan. The story isn't unfamiliar or surprising. But it does contain lots of delightful and charming little details that just can't make it into a movie. (I can't believe I just said "delightful and charming," but how else do you describe the wonderful mix of prose and imagination in a line like "the night lights all yawned and went out" or something like that.)
  • Fall of a Kingdom by Hilari Bell - Fantasy novel based on Roman conquest of Persia. Diverse characters, with the requisite magic thrown in. It's the first of the Farsala trilogy, so it had a lot of setting up to do. It will be interesting to see where the characters go from here.
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley - Beauty and the Beast has probably been my favorite Disney movie since I saw it in the theater with my friend...just us, no parents. I'm a sucker for the story in all incarnations. But McKinley is a wonderful storyteller, and this version harkens back to the older versions predating Disney (where there are sisters, and the father steals a rose...). Funnily enough, McKinley actually wrote two versions of the story. The other is Rose Daughter, which has some interesting and unique elements to it. While I'm rambling about favorites, if anyone knows the movie version that has statues that come to life (people painted all white) and Beauty dreaming of the Prince, let me know; I'd like to find it.
  • Austenland by Shannon Hale - This is like a chick flick in a book, but not like the steamy, chick lit romances. It's totally Jane Austen. If you like P&P, you'll like this.
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - I've read this several times before, of course, but I was leading the discussion for book club last month. I thought it only reasonable that I review it.
  • Invasive Procedures by Aaron Johnston and Orson Scott Card - Interesting premise. Good suspense sci fi. Well written. Quite entertaining if sci fi's your thing.
  • Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis - This is another re-read. I think the movie is coming out sometime next year, and they're fast reads.
  • River Secrets by Shannon Hale - I liked The Goose Girl better, but it was fairly quick reading and a nice story.
  • Farseer Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb - She really knows how to build a world with interesting fantasy/magical elements. I really like the way her trilogies work, building conflicts and story arcs for each individual book while working toward a big finale for the end of the trilogy.
  • One Jump Ahead by Mark L. VanName - Good, solid sci fi. I hope we find out more about the main character in his next few books. If it drags on too long, I may lose interest.
  • The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory - Month before last's book club pick. It was okay. I was really annoyed by some of the main character's choices, and her 'change of heart' was just too sudden and not convincing for me. And a warning for anyone thinking of reading it: there's some h@nky p@nky that goes on.
  • Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr - Reminiscent of the Twilight series, but all in one book. I liked it well enough all the way through, but I really like the ending. Hard to say why without spoiling it for anyone thinking of reading it. :-)
That's probably far enough back. If you read all that, and know the perfect book for me, feel free to give recommendations. I'm always ready for more books to read.

3 comments:

Tyler Waterfall said...

Thanks for the good titles to look into. I'm waiting for Austenland at the library--I think I'm number 37 on the list now. I really enjoy Shannon Hale, and I've read the Narnia series. A lot of your other suggestions are new to me. I'm always looking for good ideas!

talitha said...

Ooh, lots of good suggestions!

I tagged you for a meme over at my blog, should you care to do it.

Anne/kq said...

Beauty is my all-time favorite Beauty and the Beast novel. And I've either read and enjoyed most of the others, or have them on my to-read list. Cool books! I love books.